|Meal Preparation Support
|Purpose of the role
|You would help the client you are matched to prepare meals that they not only enjoy, but that also help them to remain healthy. Our aim is to make mealtimes as enjoyable and stress-free as possible. We want to prevent malnutrition and support independence. Often when food is prepared for someone or when they get help to prepare food, they’re more likely to eat it. It is often beneficial for people who don’t prioritise eating, to have company at mealtimes. Sometimes older people need a little prompt to eat, and a bit of company helps to turn meal times into an enjoyable experience.
|What you will be doing
- Prepare a meal from scratch or use microwave to cook a ready meal
- Help prepare a meal, working alongside your client to help them
- Encourage eating
- Preparing meals in line with special dietary, cultural or religious requirements
- Checking food supplies
- Checking food expiry dates
- Clearing away after a meal and doing the washing up
|Skills, experience and qualities needed
- Be friendly and reliable with good basic cooking skills
- Have an up to date food hygiene certificate (or be prepared to undertake the course, offered free as part of the training)
- Have a positive and encouraging attitude to health and wellbeing and nutrition
- Be supportive and caring
- Be mindful of dietary requirements of your client
- Be understanding of the importance of nutrition in later life
|When and where
- Training including food hygiene and safeguarding.
- Access to welfare support and personal resilience.
|Benefits to volunteer
- Feel-good factor of your contribution to health and wellbeing.
- Being part of a team.
- Fun and friendship.
- Enjoyment of cooking together or for someone using your skills.
- Developing community spirit.
|Other relevant information
|Enhanced DBS required, arranged by Cheshire East Council.
|What to do if you’re interested